What is In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)?
IHSS is a state program administered by Alameda County. IHSS provides homecare assistance to eligible aged, blind or disabled individuals.
This assistance allows program participants to live safely and independently in their homes rather than living in institutions or nursing homes. The IHSS program supports this by paying a provider to provide domestic and/or personal care services.
An IHSS social worker approves the services based on the recipient’s need. The recipient then selects and hires a provider to provide the services. To apply for IHSS in Alameda County
For seniors and disabled who need assistance in the home:
- Call IHSS at (510) 577-1800 or
- Go to the Alameda County Social Services website
Find My IHSS Social Worker
- Call IHSS at (510) 577-1900 or
- Go to the Alameda County Social Services web portal.
Getting Paid by IHSS
For providers hired by IHSS recipients
- The Enrollment Packet is the employment paperwork for newly hired providers
IHSS recipients request packets by calling IHSS at (510) 577-1900 or visiting IHSS Offices.
- The recipient and provider must complete and sign the enrollment forms and return them to IHSS in person or by mail.
- Providers new to IHSS must attend the 1.5 hour IHSS Orientation. The orientation is held at the IHSS Offices.
- The IHSS Orientations are held daily Orientation Schedule
- At the orientation providers will watch a state-mandated video about IHSS and show the county staff an original, unexpired government photo ID and signed social security card.
Mandatory fingerprinting for IHSS providers
- Pick up the form “Request for Live Scan Service” during the orientation or M-F at the IHSS Offices OR download and print the Request for Live Scan. LIVESCAN FORM
- The provider must not have been convicted or in jail within the last ten years for elder abuse, child abuse, fraud or other violent offenses.
- The provider takes the form to any live scan vendor and pays the cost of the Live Scan. A list of vendors is available at the IHSS Offices or check the State Attorney General’s website.
- The first timesheet is mailed from the Payrolling Center to the provider after enrollment forms, orientation and background check have been processed.
- Enrollment can take a month or more. Call IHSS Payroll (510) 577-1877 (enter your information and wait for the system to give you the option to search by consumer last name for your payroll specialist) or visit IHSS Offices if the timesheet is not received.
Payroll Problem Resolution
Providers can call, visit or write payroll (IHSS Contact Information) to resolve any of the following:
- Enrollment of new workers
- Terminate workers at recipients’ request
- Mail initial and replacement timesheets
- Help with lost or late paychecks
- Process change of address
- Process Workers’ Compensation claims
- Handle providers’ employment and income verification
(request at least 10 business days before needed)
Direct deposit questions?
- Call the Direct Deposit Help Desk toll free at 1 (866) 376-7066.
Share of Cost questions?
Visit IHSS Office
Eastmont Town Center
Monday through Friday
Contact IHSS by Phone
Providers call Payroll at (510) 577-1877
Monday through Friday